We are excited about our 2015 Summer Camp offerings!
Please know that you can come see us through out the year! We have programs for families on the weekends and homeschoolers during the week in all seasons. Check our CALENDAR page to get oriented, and our PROGRAMS pages for details:
CALENDAR Clapping Hands Farm - Calendar
NATURE PROGRAMS Clapping Hands Farm - Nature Programs
ARTS PROGRAMS Clapping Hands Farm - Arts Programs
SCHOOLS OUT CAMPS Clapping Hands Farm - 2010 School's Out Camps,
A note about camp registration: We expect all our 2015 camps to fill. Early registration is recommended. All the information you need is found on the REGISTER page of this website. Registration is not complete and space can not be guarenteed until camp fee and camp forms are received.
• TOYS AND GAMES CAMP - MARCH 30- APRIL 3, 9 a.m. to 5 p.m. Ages 7-13. $250 full week, $60 single day.
• ART PARTY CAMP- JUNE 15-19, 9 a.m. to 2 p.m. Ages 2-8 with parent. OR ages 5-8 on their own as "bridge campers."
Full Week with parents- $175; additional children $150/child. Per Day with parents- $35/child/day; $30 additional children/day. Younger siblings under two years welcome at no additional cost. Bridge Campers $200, full week option only.
• BEAT BUILDERS BAND CAMP- JUNE 29- JULY 3, 9 a.m. to 5 p.m. Ages 7-13. $250
• ARTS FOCUS CAMP - JULY 13- 17, 9 a.m. to 5 p.m. Ages 10-18. $250
Go to our REGISTER PAGE to fill out our online registration for Spring Programs and to find Camp Forms.
Lead Teachers: Jan Burger • Louise Omoto Kessel • Mardi Magoo
A joyous week of pure playful fun! Come join Jan Burger the KING of PLAY! for a week of romping and running and creative cooperative games, along with some traditional favorites (yes! Capture the Flag!) Louise Omoto Kessel and Mardi Magoo will lead the Toys workshop, this year with an emphasis on OLD TIMEY TOYS like dominoes, jump rope rhymes, hopscotch, string games, marbles, jacks and the like. Your children will spend the week entertaining themselves and one another using simple materials and raw imagination! No electronic or store bought games allowed! In the afternoon during "anything goes" some of our favorite toy making projects will return: parachutes, stomp rockets, hula hoops, home made board games, nine mens morris, are all on the list of possibilities. For those that require MORE running around, there will be plenty of options in that category in the afternoon as well!
In addition to our lead teachers, Africa Mason has signed on to be a counselor all week, and we'll bring on more counselors as our numbers increase.
SPREAD THE WORD about this fun camp! Friends telling friends is what grows our camp community most reliably!
Jan Burger lives in Bynum, NC along the Haw River where he makes art, draws cartoons, and is the co-director of the amazing Paper Hand Puppet Intervention. He is a life long games and play enthusiast and we love having him at camp with his unique blend of fun, fair and fantastic!
Louise Omoto Kessel is the artist in residence and program director at Clapping Hands Farm. She enjoys finding cool toys to make each year for Toys and Games Camp and making our own fun with new and returning campers!
Mardi Magoo is a devoted homeschooling mama, a fiber artist, a dancer, teacher and magical co-creator of her fabulous universe. She lives in Chapel Hill with her two amazing children, her goofy dog and a houseful of friends. Mardi will be joining Louise as Assistant Director for our entire run of summer camps this year!
FAMILY CAMP FORMAT:
- ages 2-8 with parent or special caregiver
- camp day 9 a.m to 2 p.m.
- sign up for the week or for one or more days
- cost $175; 2nd child $150; per day cost $35/child/day; additional children $30/child/day
BRIDGE CAMP FORMAT: (designed for young campers as a "bridge" to the full day camps we run for older children)
- ages 5-8 coming on their own will have a special counselor and a small "buddy group."
- camp day 9 a.m. to 2 p.m.
- sign up for entire week only
- Cost $200 9 a.m. - 2 p.m.
"I really wanted to let you know how much we love coming to art party. It is my kids' most favorite thing to do. When we come out to your place, I feel like we are walking into a hug."
Each day Mardi and Louise and their team of amazing counselors will be setting out a spectacular array of visual art explorations. A different guest artist each day will share music, creative movement, zumba and other wonderful things for an all around fun time. At our ART PARTY come ready to finger paint; mix together colorful slime; play in shaving cream; draw with pastels, colored chalk, and other medium; learn to embroider on burlap or sew your own stuffed animal; make your own toys, and so much more! When you meet our guest artists bring your voices and bodies to the tumbling, dancing, singing chorus of activity! Much of the day will be for adults and children to share in creating together. Each afternoon we will offer an hour long workshop with our guest artists that will be specifically for the creative exploration and rejuvenation of the adults while other artists and camp counselors work with the children. Singing Games provide a lively morning circle and our day ends with a closing circle and story told by Louise. Families coming to Art Party camp can sign up for the week, or by the day.
"BRIDGE CAMP" for ages 5-8! We invite children 5-8 who wish to come to camp on their own to join us this week in a special camp designed to "bridge" these young campers to being ready for our full day "big kid" camps. All the Art Party activities will be the razzle dazzle of this joyful week, while a small group of "buddies" and a special counselor provide a nurturing center. Bridge Camp option is available for the full week only.
Guest Artists this week!
MONDAY- Donovan Zimmerman will SING with FAMILIES in the morning and PARENTS will do YOGA in the afternoon!
TUESDAY- Valine Zeigler will do ZUMBA with FAMILIES in the morning and PARENTS in the afternoon
WEDNESDAY- Jef the Mime will work with FAMILIES in the morning and PARENTS in the afternoon
THURSDAY- Ruth Pershing will lead a FAMILY DANCE in the morning and there will be an ART PARTY for PARENTS in the afternoon.
FRIDAY- Sahliah Haith will lead AFRICAN DANCE with live DRUMMING in the morning for FAMILIES and for PARENTS in the afternoon.
Get ready for a musical adventure! This camp will invite every camper to be part of a camp BAND! If you play a musical instrument, bring it to camp! If you've always wanted to be in a band, but never played an instrument in your life, no worries! We aim to get everyone making music together and are confident tehre is a part for you.
In addition to playing together, we will also do some instrument building, including a big permanent percussion sculpture that will remain a part of Clapping Hands Farm fun for many years to come! building smaller instrments for personal use will also be part of this week's offerings.
Our lead teachers this week are:
Kora player and drummer in the African tradition, TELI SHABU!
Director of the Catbird Chorus, singer-songwriter, guitar and ukelele player JIMMY MAGOO!
We also have a fine group of musically talented counselors to help lead the various bands!
The heart of ARTS FOCUS CAMP is simply that it is a camp for TEENS and TWEENS. If you are a camper ages 10-18 who wants to be part of a joyful, creative, diverse, fun, outdoor camp community--- we hope you will consider joining us for ARTS FOCUS CAMP!
There are three ways to participate in ARTS FOCUS CAMP:
1. Join an ARTIST LED FOCUS GROUP: This is an opportunity to work closely with a working artist in their chosen discipline; we hope that it will be an engaging inquiry into a topic or craft that also interests you deeply. There are three ARTISTS working with us for ARTS FOCUS CAMP 2015. When you choose an ARTIST LED FOCUS GROUP you will spend two hours each morning specializing in this artistic discipline. If you would be happy with more than one of these choices, please list your choices in order of preference.
• MUSIC JAM with TELI SHABU! --- Teli Shabu is a drummer and kora player originally from Liberia. If you love to make music, this is your focus group and all kinds of musical instruments and styles are welcome! If you have always wished you could join in a spontaneous "jam session" but never knew how, Teli has a great talent for teaching people how to improvise, listen to one another, and figure out your part to contribute, in order to create and record orginal music! Counselors with their own musical talents will assist Teli in putting a variety of ensembles together, and sharing their skills in recording, using sound equipment, and song writing.
• UPCYCLED CLOTHING with TABITHA FORRESTIER! ï»¿Design your own upcyled fashions from any kind of used clothing! Jazz up those old jeans, make a dinosauer hoodie, or a t-shirt dress. Pillows, blankets, toys and bags might also be on the list of possibilities. A variety of FIBER ARTS including felting, sewing, crocheting and weaving might be incorporated into these projects. This is sure to be a TON of FUN and you will go home with some one-of-a-kind wearable projects all designed by YOU!
Tabitha creates both beautiful and whimsical things out of wool and fabric. Tabitha has raised sheep, sheered sheep, spun wool, dyed wool, and then crocheted all kinds of wearable art out of this homegrown yarn.
• CHOREOGRAPHY with SHALIAH HAITH! Shaliah is a dancer and choreographer who grew up studying, theater, jazz, modern, and ballet in NYC. While in college she took and African Dance class, fell in love with it, and has performed with a variety of professional companies since, including Chuck Davis' African American Dance Ensemble based out of Durham NC. Shaliah is excited to help you create original movement oriented performance pieces. Your choreography might be based on sports or athletics, every day life or work, observing nature, or inspired by words. All previous experience with sports, movement, martial arts, circus arts, dance, etc. welcome. No previous experience required!
2. Join a PEER LED PROJECT GROUP: Some of our favorite campers have told us "I want to come to camp, but I want to do my own project!" Thus, at ARTS FOCUS CAMP 2015 we are excited to offer at least one peer led project group . . . if you have a project YOU would like to propose, please contact camp director Louise Omoto Kessel to discuss it further!
• BUILD A LABYRINTH with ZELLA MAGOO! We've always wanted a labyrinth at Clapping Hands Farm, so when Zella proposed this project we gave it an enthusiastic YES! If you want to hang out in the woods, haul rocks, clear brush, use tools, and create a beautiful and lasting art installation that people can use and enjoy for decades to come. . . please join this project group!
3. Afternoon Only "Anything Goes" option: Other campers have told us "I want to come to camp, but I just want to PLAY!" Thus, at ARTS FOCUS CAMP 2015 we are offering an "afternoon only" option that will run from Noon to 5 p.m.
ARTS FOCUS AFTERNOONS will be our usual merry mix of "The All Camp Thing" (an activity after lunch each day that involves the entire camp in such things as varied as a performance, a workshop, camp talent show, or a wild shaving cream fight) and "Anything Goes"--- a rich assortment of elective classes and activities led by camp staff, guest artists, and campers. Anything Goes will include extensions of the ARTS FOCUS disciplines, as well as berry picking, dirt court basketball games, a home made frisbee golf course, a crochet class, capture the flag, and, well. . . Anything Goes. Afternoons also include Buddy Group time (small groups led by counselors) and a Closing Circle where we plan Anything Goes for the next day and often have a song or story or talent sharing.
So, if 2 hours of focused morning activity is not your thing--- join us at Noon!